TIBCO Software has adopted a cloud first strategy. However, there are many companies who have large portfolios of applications that aren't running in the cloud. Options to deal with these applications are:
- Replace: As mentioned above, this is when you replace an application on premise via a SaaS offering. An example of this is when users adopt Salesforce
- Rehost: This is when you “lift and shift” your application from your own systems onto a cloud infrastructure as a service (IaaS) platform without modifying the applications
- Refactor: Similar to rehosting, you modify the application so that it can begin to take advantage of basic cloud capabilities
- Rearchitect: This is when you significantly change the application so you can benefit from cloud-native capabilities
- Rebuild: In this option, you start from scratch and build the application specifically to take advantage of cloud-native capabilities of the platform you are going to leverage
These are similar to the following six common application migration strategies described by Stephen Orban of Amazon AWS.